
Mother arrested after brothers, 5 and 3, ‘blindfolded and abandoned’ in woods – Image for illustrative purposes only (Image credits: Pexels)
Portugal – Two French brothers aged five and three were found wandering a remote country path after their mother and stepfather allegedly blindfolded them, told them to search for a buried knife, and then drove away. The children were discovered crying for their father near the resort towns of Alcácer do Sal and Comporta. Police arrested the 41-year-old mother and her 55-year-old partner the following day on suspicion of domestic violence and child abuse.
Children Spotted at Dusk
A local baker named Artur Quintas was driving along the isolated track with his wife when he noticed the older boy’s blonde hair just before sunset. The children appeared terrified and were calling out for their father. Quintas later described how their hands were covered in dirt and one had a knee injury from wandering the area. The boys each carried a small backpack containing only a change of clothes, an apple, an orange and two bottles of water. They had been left in terrain that can reach 30 degrees Celsius even in spring. Still believing the episode was part of a game, the brothers had continued searching until Quintas stopped to help them.
Parents’ Alleged Instructions
According to police accounts, the mother and stepfather drove the boys to the woodland and said they were playing a game to drive away the devil. They blindfolded the children and directed them to remove the covers only after locating a knife buried in the soil. The older boy dug in the dirt before finally taking off both blindfolds and realising they had been abandoned. The couple remained in a nearby café with French licence plates for several hours after leaving the children. When officers approached them, the pair stayed silent. The vehicle was later found parked beside the café.
Arrest and Family Background
Marine Rousseau and Marc Ballabriga were taken into custody on Wednesday. Investigators are examining the circumstances that led the family from their home in Colmar, eastern France, to Portugal. The boys’ birth father, who is separated from the mother, had filed a child abduction report with French police roughly two weeks earlier after the mother left with the children. Colmar prosecutor Jean Richert noted that the father, like others involved, does not understand what prompted the events. The children are now in the care of Portuguese authorities while further inquiries continue.
Questions Raised by the Case
The incident highlights the risks children face when family disputes cross international borders. Portuguese police are working with French counterparts to piece together the timeline and determine the full extent of any prior concerns. The boys’ belongings and statements have provided key details for the ongoing investigation. Authorities have not yet released further information on possible motives or additional charges. The case remains under active review by both countries’ law enforcement agencies.